Internal and external safety checks before the driving test
External safety check
- Turn on the parking lights, and check the front and rear lights, the reflectors, and the rear registration plate light.
- Turn on the ignition, dipped headlights, left indicators and rear fog light (where applicable).
- On the left side: Check the front wheel. Does the tread depth look OK, and is the tyre round (rather than flattened) at the bottom, front indicator, headlights (dipped), rear wheel, rear light, rear indicator and rear fog light.
- Switch on the full beam headlights and right indicators.
- On the right side: Check the front wheel (as above), front indicator, headlights (full beam), rear wheel, rear light and rear indicator.
- Turn off the lights and indicators.
- Ask another person to press the brake pedal while you are standing behind the car, to check that the brake lights work.
Internal safety check
- Adopt the correct driving position and check the mirrors and that the doors are shut.
- Turn on the windscreen wipers (wash the screen as necessary) and check the heating controls (fan, especially for the windscreen, and the defroster for the rear window).
- Beep the horn once and fasten your seat belt (adjust until it is fastened tightly).
- Press down hard on the footbrake and keep it depressed; it should feel rigid.
- Turn the steering wheel slightly and start the car. You should be able to feel that the brake servo and power steering is functioning correctly (the brake pedal sinks and the steering wheel becomes easy to turn).
- Check that the handbrake works by pulling it and attempting to drive away carefully, forwards or backwards (or by releasing it on a slope).
- Adjust the seat so that you are sitting comfortably (you should be able to angle your wrists over the steering wheel).
- Adjust the head restraint so that it is positioned roughly in the centre of the back of your head.
- Adjust the rear view mirror and the side mirrors.
- Fasten your seat belt (raise or lower the upper belt clip as necessary).
- Depress the clutch.
- Start the engine.
- Turn on the necessary regulator systems (e.g. fan) and check that the correct lights are switched on.
Latest forum posts