Start > Theory & regulations > Registration certificate

Car registration certificate – laying up, starting up and change of ownership

All registered vehicles have a registration certificate issued by the Swedish Transport Agency.

Part 1 – information about the vehicle


  • Technical information about the vehicle.
  • Information on leasing and purchase on credit.
  • Authorisation code for internet and telephone services.
  • Other general information about the vehicle.

Used for

  • Starting up.
  • Laying up.
  • Ordering registration plates.
  • Ordering Part 2.


The below is an extract from Part 1 which contains technical information about the vehicle. The information found here includes, for example, the maximum permitted weight for a trailer.

Car registration certificate

Part 2 – certificate of ownership and change of ownership


  • Ownership information.
  • The most recent owners of the vehicle.
  • Other general information about the vehicle.

Used for

  • Change of ownership.
  • Deregistration.

As Part 2 is used for change of ownership, it is important that you store this part of the registration certificate somewhere safe. The glove compartment is a bad place to keep Part 2!

How change of ownership for vehicles works

The easiest way to change ownership is via the Swedish Transport Agency’s website or app. You can also fill in the buyer’s personal details in Part 2 and send it by mail.

Important details for the change of ownership

  • The new owner must take out third-party insurance which applies from the date specified for the change of ownership.
  • Check one another’s personal details using a personal data check service. If the information is incorrect, the Swedish Transport Agency will be unable to complete the change of ownership, which leads to complications and additional costs.

Laying up and starting up

By laying up your car you avoid having to pay vehicle tax and third-party insurance. There are different methods of laying up and starting up the vehicle:

  • Internet and app.
  • Part 2 of the registration certificate.

If a driving ban is imposed on the vehicle, this does not mean that it is automatically laid up. You must always actively lay up the vehicle yourself.

A laid up vehicle may only be driven to and from the roadworthiness test, provided third-party insurance is paid and there are no motor vehicle tax arrears.

It is also forbidden to tow a laid up vehicle.

Theory test with video questions

Video questions – Swedish theory test Free demo – try the questions