Start > Driving licence forum > Bias in driving test?

Bias in driving test?

expat 2021-06-04 06:04 ! Quote #
Took my driving test today 2 days ago (falköping) and unfortunately failed (for the 3rd time), but I just can’t get over the ground for the failure this time. ​

The reasons:
My security control was to check windscreen wipers and horn. No issues, but i forgot to switch off the rear one (he notified me as we left the location). I didn’t think nothing of it... but apparently, at this point, I already failed the test ?

The second reason he gave was too low speed i.e driving 60km on a 80km road. This was true is some occasions, but I could also recall driving 70+ at some point. I was probably just being a bit too careful.

What’s painful is that, I do know how to operate a windscreen wiper but was obviously just nervous. I made this comment to him and he said, ”well afterall this is a test”.

Also, how could this possibly be a ground to fail a test? A test that I’ve waited 5 months to get a shot at (no spot due to corona).

In Uk and many other countries, you can appeal a result, but you can’t in Sweden? What if an instructor is biased against people with foreign background?

The comment in the result:
Grundorsak till underkännandet är:
Trafiksäkerhet och beteende
Din körning visar brister i att:
Förutse och bedöma konsekvenser av olika händelseförlopp
Guest 2021-06-04 10:57 ! Quote #
Well standards in Sweden is very higher than other European or Asian countries. What you did is indeed a fail and he doesn’t seem to be biased or anything. What you did is indeed dangerous, you drove 60 or sometimes 70 km/h and that is dangerous when the road tells you to drive 80km/h. What can actually happen is that cars behind you drive over you and cause an accident so its important to drive 77 or 78 km/h.
Guest 2021-06-04 11:25 ! Quote #
You most likely failed because of driving 60 km/h when it was 80 km/h for no reason. You should always adjust your speed after the situation so of course it is okay to drive 60 when it is 80 if the conditions and traffic demand it, for example heavy snow but if there is no such conditions it’s a risk to drive too slow. To think you failed because of race - how will that help you become a better driver to pass the test next time? If that was true, other people of color wouldn’r pass either and that is not the case. I think it just sounds like a bad excuse from your part.
expat 2021-06-04 11:59 ! Quote #
Fair enough, but the question is - is it really enough ground to fail the test? In the Uk for instance, you can make up to 15 minors fault and still pass the test. Major faults is instant failure ofcourse. Driving 60km on fairly quiet country road is hardly a dangerous fault.
And whether you think it’s real or not, bias does exist when you have a foreign background... you almost always have to prove yourself because there is the swedish way of doing things. You’re almost guaranteed to fail the test if you have a foreign background and haven’t through driving school here. Although, my teacher was pretty sure I was going to pass it.

The most annoying part of it is that... In the entire 2021, I only get one shot at the test.... next available date is next year.
Guest 2021-06-04 12:33 ! Quote #
I am myself foreign and not born in Sweden and definitely look foreign, so that would apply to me as well wouldn’t it? But I have passed the test. You can’t compare other countries to Sweden, we are known for having both the hardest traffic rules, education and test in the world because we have a zero vision of no car accidents leading to death. The one most important thing they look for at the test is safety. For example in Sweden the limit of drunk driving is 0,2 per mille alcohol. In other countries you can drive on 0,8 for example.

You are allowed to make minor mistakes and still pass if they don’t adventure the safety. For example I didnt pass my first test because I looked mostly through the back seat window and not the rear window when reverse driving around a corner. If a child would appear behind the car I would see it better through the rear window and not as good in the back seat window and that was a potential risk. I think that is fair.
Guest 2021-06-04 12:46 ! Quote #
You can’t compare other countries standard to Sweden. Sweden is known for having the hardest traffic rules, education and test in the world. A lot is because we have a zero vision when it comes to traffic accidents leading to death. For example in Sweden the limit for drunk driving is at 0,2 per mille alcohol. In the US it is allowed to drive with 0,8 per mille alcohol in the blood - a huge difference as you can see.

You are allowed to make mistakes on your test but not if they adventure the safety. Why did you drive 60 if it was 80 for no reason? Maybe they think you can’t handle higher speeds which is definitely a problem.

And well, I am not born in Sweden either and definitely don’t look Swedish and I passed so...
Guest 2021-06-04 13:21 ! Quote #
expat 2021-06-04
Fair enough, but the question is - is it really enough ground to fail the test? In the Uk for instance, you can make up to 15 minors fault and still pass the test. Major faults is instant failure ofcourse. Driving 60km on fairly quiet country road is hardly a dangerous fault.
And whether you think it’s real or not, bias does exist when you have a foreign background... you almost always have to prove yourself because there is the swedish way of doing things. You’re almost guaranteed to fail the test if you have a foreign background and haven’t through driving school here. Although, my teacher was pretty sure I was going to pass it.

The most annoying part of it is that... In the entire 2021, I only get one shot at the test.... next available date is next year.
To drive 60km/h on a 80km/h road is indeed a major fault, because it gives the appearance that you might not be secure enough in your driving to drive faster on that road.
Sweden is one of the most difficult countries fo get a license, which I personally think is great. You should try to take the test until you feel completely secure. It stops a lot of dangerous drivers on our roads.
expat 2021-06-04 19:46 ! Quote #
Ofcourse, the way students are assessed varies between examiners. You could be lucky and meet a nice one.

Personally i think the whole zero vision thing or having a higher standard is fundamentally flawed.

I drove with my foreign license for a year. You mean they only trust me to drive for a year ? I know people who moved here from Luthuania, Poland etc and simply exchanged their license for a Swedish one.

Anyways, I appreciate the responses and would probably not make the same mistake again.
Guest 2021-06-04 20:39 ! Quote #
By law it is forbidden to drive at excessively low speeds, unless there are risks that you need to take into account. You must not obstruct or interfere with other traffic unnecessarily, driving 60 on a main road where the speed is 80 is a clearly failed test. go to a traffic school that can teach you to drive in a Swedish way
Ullis 2021-06-04 23:13 ! Quote #
Agree with all above answers. It’s much more convenient to blame the inspector, but driving 60km on an 80km road without snow / hard rain/ fog / whatever isn’t called for. The speed limit is set with the road in mind, and sure it’s not always appropriate to drive 80km, like in example a sharp curve, but someone somewhere has found the road safe for a certain speed limit which means you need to be comfortable driving that limit. If not, you’re probably not ready. I
If this is the third time you’ve failed, my advice would be that you enroll in a driving school (even if it stings a little) because it seems as though what would pass in the UK won’t pass here which means that you need to learn how drive on a Swedish standard...

Latest forum posts

Open forum – post without registration
Start a new thread

Free Theory Book

Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024 (körkortsboken på engelska)
Download Theory Book
PDF   364 pages   30 MB
Apple Books: Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024 Google Play: Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024

Theory test with video questions

Video questions – Swedish theory test Theory test, online demo