Start > Driving licence forum > A couple of questions about dr…

A couple of questions about driving in Sweden

driving123 2019-02-12 10:12 ! Quote #
Hi, I have some questions I couldn’t find the answers to myself:

1. From what I understand, going 71 km/h in a 70 km/h can be penalized as speeding (either by a fine or a warning).
Near Stockholm, it seems like I’m the only one going 70 km/h, while everyone else is going 85-90 km/h, in a 70 km/h maximum speed area. Am I wrong to follow the signs?

2. In some countries, when you have city road with 2 or more lanes, the leftmost lane has priority. Which means if you’re on lane 1 (from the right), you have to use your blinker, give way to the vehicles on lane 2, move to lane 2, use your blinker, give way to the vehicles on lane 3, move to lane 3. If you are on a priority lane, going from lane 2 to lane 1, the lane 1 vehicle has to give way and allow you to enter the lane.
Is it the same in Sweden? I’ve had vehicles running parallel try to get in front of me instead of waiting for me to pass. I let them pass but I don’t know if they had the right, and I couldn’t find anything about lane priority.

3. If there’s an intersection with a ”not allowed to turn left” sign, are you allowed to make a U-turn? I’ve seen people do that and my understanding is you’re not allowed to turn left at all, making a U-turn involves turning left.

4. My car requires about 30-50 seconds of running the engine before it’s ready to use, and another 2-5 minutes to heat up the interior, seats and windows. As I understand I’m only allowed to have the car idle for a maximum of 1 minute. How does this rule work with winter? Or is this a rule that only applies in traffic, and not while parked?

Thank you very much!
Guest 2019-02-14 01:16 ! Quote #
driving123 2019-02-12
Hi, I have some questions I couldn’t find the answers to myself:

1. From what I understand, going 71 km/h in a 70 km/h can be penalized as speeding (either by a fine or a warning).
Near Stockholm, it seems like I’m the only one going 70 km/h, while everyone else is going 85-90 km/h, in a 70 km/h maximum speed area. Am I wrong to follow the signs?

2. In some countries, when you have city road with 2 or more lanes, the leftmost lane has priority. Which means if you’re on lane 1 (from the right), you have to use your blinker, give way to the vehicles on lane 2, move to lane 2, use your blinker, give way to the vehicles on lane 3, move to lane 3. If you are on a priority lane, going from lane 2 to lane 1, the lane 1 vehicle has to give way and allow you to enter the lane.
Is it the same in Sweden? I’ve had vehicles running parallel try to get in front of me instead of waiting for me to pass. I let them pass but I don’t know if they had the right, and I couldn’t find anything about lane priority.

3. If there’s an intersection with a ”not allowed to turn left” sign, are you allowed to make a U-turn? I’ve seen people do that and my understanding is you’re not allowed to turn left at all, making a U-turn involves turning left.

4. My car requires about 30-50 seconds of running the engine before it’s ready to use, and another 2-5 minutes to heat up the interior, seats and windows. As I understand I’m only allowed to have the car idle for a maximum of 1 minute. How does this rule work with winter? Or is this a rule that only applies in traffic, and not while parked?

Thank you very much!
1. Nope

2. No line priority, tje obe changing lines is responsible to do so safely, however you should always try to make this as easy as possible for others.

3. If theres no sign specifically against a u-turn its alowed, provided you can do this safely, have the space and dont end up blocking anyone.

4. Not entirely sure but i think its meant in traffic, however u wouldnt worry about having the car running a couple of minutes if it helps clearing the windows. Safety always first.
driving123 2019-03-26 15:40 ! Quote #
Tack så mycket!

Latest forum posts

Open forum – post without registration
Start a new thread

Free Theory Book

Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024 (körkortsboken på engelska)
Download Theory Book
PDF   364 pages   30 MB
Apple Books: Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024 Google Play: Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024

Theory test with video questions

Video questions – Swedish theory test Free theory test