Start > Driving licence forum > Priority to the right vs. turn…

Priority to the right vs. turning rule

Danny 2023-10-17 14:09 ! Quote #
Heyas y’all!

So I’m having an existential crisis because I can’t seem to make sense of the information I find within the book.

For the priority to the right, they show an example (p.28) where car B is driving straight forward and car A, coming for the right, wants to turn left. They explain that since car A is on the right of car B, B has to let A pass. Fair enough.

But then, 5 pages later comes the turning rule, which states ”You may not hinder or cross the path of oncoming traffic when turning left.” they illustrate this with a very similar example the one found on p. 28 for the priority to the right and they specify that the turning rule applies EVEN if one has a greenlight.

And now I’m confused. I failed several tries at the test because of this confusion and it’s driving me nuts.

Does priority to the right take precedence over the turning rule? Is it the opposite? Is the example found on p.28 technically wrong but continues because at that point in the book the turning rule hasn’t been explained? What am I missing?

Can anyone help me clear this up?
W 2023-10-17 15:36 ! Quote #
Hi, the turning rule is all about oncoming traffic and the priority to the right rule is about intersecting traffic. There is no contradiction between these rules, as oncoming traffic can never come from right/left. It is always coming head-on.
Danny 2023-10-18 09:34 ! Quote #
Hey thanks sooooo much for the answer!

So just to be 100% sure I got this right, if I am at an intersection and a car to my right wants to turn left (thus cutting in front of me basically) it would be priority to the right, but if a car is coming in front of me, then it’s turning rule, correct?
Guest 2023-10-18 09:50 ! Quote #
Danny 2023-10-18
Hey thanks sooooo much for the answer!

So just to be 100% sure I got this right, if I am at an intersection and a car to my right wants to turn left (thus cutting in front of me basically) it would be priority to the right, but if a car is coming in front of me, then it’s turning rule, correct?
:) Yes, that is the part about the priority to the right rule that feels wrong (but is correct). You’re driving straight and minding your own business, but yet have to stop for a car coming from your right that wants to turn and cut in front of you.
Danny 2023-10-18 10:34 ! Quote #
Guest 2023-10-18
:) Yes, that is the part about the priority to the right rule that feels wrong (but is correct). You’re driving straight and minding your own business, but yet have to stop for a car coming from your right that wants to turn and cut in front of you.
Ah you rock! Thanks so much, you have no idea how much you’ve helped me :lol:

Latest forum posts

Topic
2024-05-01 21:42
2024-04-24 07:23
2024-04-23 08:27
Open forum – post without registration
Start a new thread

Free Theory Book

Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024 (körkortsboken på engelska)
Download Theory Book
PDF   364 pages   30 MB
Apple Books: Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024 Google Play: Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024

Theory test with video questions

Video questions – Swedish theory test Theory test, online demo