Start > Driving licence forum > Efficient breaking and gear us…

Efficient breaking and gear usage

dani 2023-06-09 23:14 ! Quote #
Today i had my mock/driving lesson at one of the schools in suddybergy. Teacher pointed out i use gear a lot to stop the car. let me explain.

1. lets say i am doing 70kmph. When i see the traffic lights upfront and feel i should break my speed. i start with breaking softly when the speed is less than 60 i shift it down to 4th and release the clutch. then when i feel i need to break the speed more i shift it down to third and release the clutch again. then to complete stop i just put gear in neutral and let go off the clutch. i wait until the light turns yellow then put in gear and get ready with clutch pressed.

2. Teacher says when u approach the light just let go the acc. pedal and press the break and keep breaking until u feel the need to put in clutch. Then keep the clutch in and put first gear and stay clutch pressed and gear in until light turns green.

Can you guys guide me which on should i right way and why? Moreover playing with gears like i do... will it lead to failure?
Fransk baguette 2023-06-10 20:48 ! Quote #
Basically it is just a matter of opinion, both techniques have their pros and cons. On the drivers test they want you to avoid stops and uneccesary fuel consumption, hense why you are taught to engine brake as you described, instead of idling unessecary by stopping or putting it into neutral. I used the engine to brake even more (almost excessive) than you described just to be sure i would’nt get a mark on ecodriving. I passed with no comment from the instructor about it being ”excessive”.
Dani 2023-06-13 11:17 ! Quote #
Well i am paracticing privately but drive daily. Now I have tried to use less gears but tbh I feel using atleast one gear shift to use engine breaking puts less stress on breaks

2. When becoming stationary I always put the car in neutral it makes car less bumpy almost smooth to come to stop and also if I keep the clutch pressed my feet hurts.. At times I have to drive for 4 hours including city and country roads.. And keeping clutch pressed for long makes my feet hurt so I developed my driving habit to keeping the clutch depressed as less as possible.

3. My father who taught me driving 15 years ago.. Taught me to use gears shifting down but keep braking at a soft steady pace.... Moreover he always wanted me to keep away from clutch and he called this keeping clutch pressed putting over pressure on engine and pressure plates.

4. One thing I wanna ask also..if you drive on few turns (due to unknown road or stress) bumpy with brakes.. Would it effect the final result of driving test? I felt when I am. On unknown road I get extra cautious which mjhbg cause more slow driving and extra braking before turns n roundabouts
R 2023-06-21 20:56 ! Quote #
2. I would avoid putting the gear in neutral for the test, unless you’re standing still at the light for a long time or you’re really far back. That’s the advice I got from my instructor. And don’t do it while breaking, they will fault you for ecodriving. Just let go of the accelerator first and then start breaking depending on the situation.

3. As far as the downshiftning it just sounds like you are shiftning down too many times. If I’m drivning 60-70 km/h and need to stop the way I was taught by my instructor then I usually only need to downshift once before I press the clutch.

4. You should drive at the correct speed if the road is clear. Only drive slow if it’s justified (right-rule, kids/pedestrians, hindrance). It’s good to take turns and roundabouts slower, 2nd or 3rd gear if it’s a large roundabout.

Good luck!

Latest forum posts

Topic
2024-05-01 21:42
2024-04-24 07:23
2024-04-23 08:27
Open forum – post without registration
Start a new thread

Free Theory Book

Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024 (körkortsboken på engelska)
Download Theory Book
PDF   364 pages   30 MB
Apple Books: Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024 Google Play: Theory Book – Driving Licence Book 2024

Theory test with video questions

Video questions – Swedish theory test Free theory test